Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Gotta see it first, but don't forget to shoot it!

The post-photography me looks at things differently than the pre-photography me did. I think, in general, I was observant of the world around me before. But now I feel hyper-sensitized.

I have spent time watching shadows creep across the floor. I suppose in hindsight this is as exciting as watching paint dry-- I knew where the shadow was going. But, at the time I was enthralled. I now subconsciously note the color, direction, and "feel" of the light around me. I notice other new things too.


Yesterday, I sat on my couch and looked at the staircase. I noticed the light from the dining area was shining through the banister casting a shadow on the wall. This echo'd the lines of the stair case on the wall. It wasn't a perfect a repetition, but it didn't need to be. I liked it, so I looked at for a while.

I then realized something.

I notice these things, but I rarely get the camera out to photograph them. Why? Maybe they make boring pictures? Perhaps they do, but I'm going to make more of an effort to capture what I notice. If anything, it will help me notice other things more easily.

No comments: